Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Joy of Day Tripping and other Adult Fun

Going on vacation has always been my favorite thing to do, mostly because it gets me out of my life and changes the scenery.  Not that my life is bad, it just gets boring and dull to do the same thing day in and day out (or even worse, work so much on houses, overtime and 2nd jobs that you want to claw your eyes out).  Unfortunately, vacations can be quite expensive even if you find a great deal.

Oddly last night I had a dream that I had to just leave and got on a plane to Spain, by myself, indefinitely...is my subconscious telling my I'm in need of a day off...or a few?  I do plain on going to Spain...some day.

The next best thing?  Day tripping, it's easy to incorporate into almost every weekend.  It can be just an hour or all day long.  It's fun with your significant other, your kids, a girl friend or even by yourself.  In fact, in the famous book, Artist's Way, author Julie Cameron actually recommends lone Artist Dates on a regular basis:

Artist Dates are assigned play.

The Artist Date is a once-weekly, festive, solo expedition to explore
something that interests you. The Artist Date need not be overtly
“artistic” — think mischief more than mastery. Artist Dates fire up the
imagination. They spark whimsy. They encourage play. Since art is about the
play of ideas, they feed our creative work by replenishing our inner well
of images and inspiration. When choosing an Artist Date, it is good to ask yourself, “what sounds fun?” — and then allow yourself to try it.
______________________________________________________________

We all need a whole lot more play in our lives.  Look around your own city or the cities within a couple hours drive and there are probably many things you've never done before (or time to do again).  A few great sources to begin your search:  Groupon, Trip Advisor, and Meet Up.  There are also phone applications to download for your local city/event/food/art/hike/activity search.  It takes just a little imagination and you and/or your crew can be out and about in no time.  I've been on the search lately for of few new day trips around me too and below is just a few of my most recent.  I look forward to finding many more!

Climbing Double Peak trail and visiting Myrtle Creek Farms (the crepes were divine!).



The Getty Museum, Clifford's Cafeteria, and Vroman's Bookstore.


Warwick's author events (they are often free!)







Need more ideas to bring more fun into your life?  
Check this out: