Sunday, May 15, 2016

Bucket list to Joy

My sister and cousin checked off a big bucket list item, sky diving! While I bowed out, not being much of a thrill seeker, my sister asked, "What is on your Bucket List?"  That has taken some thought.  I made a bucket list the year I turned 50 (almost 3 years ago) in a post of a blog that I kept for the year, doing something new every week of my fiftieth year on earth!  Here it is a few years later...still some to go, and some I just don't want to do anymore.  I know this about myself, I'm not a thrill seeker, my life is full of enough anxiety, but I am an adventurer...my goal is simple, experience adventure and find ways to relax...as economically as possible!

1.    write a book, still a goal, but I'm less excited and motivated, maybe just finish the one I started
2.    hike every week  OK, NOT REALISTIC in San Diego without a lot of driving which is anything but relaxing.
3.    Go on a volunteer trip abroad still a goal, maybe create my own
4.    Take an Alaskan cruise  Johnny would prefer a driving adventure
5.    visit ancient mayan ruins in Mexico Christmas 2017!
6.    visit the aztec ruins at four corners  still a goal
7.    Grow a vegetable garden  not likely...but maybe
8.    Do NaNoWriMo  see #1
9.    join a book club  I DID!
10. be a literacy volunteer I got certified but never did it, it's a big commitment, lol
11. Journal regularly check
12. go sailing check
13. go on a wine tasting tour check
14. make a happiness project check (Joy blog)
15. stop being co-dependent HAHAHAHAHA
16. buy a new car check
17. beat my anxiety see #15
18. learn to make video youtubes check
19. Go to Paris check
20. Lose 20 pounds  see #15
21. Visit Machu Picchu still a goal
22. Buy red heels. check
23. skinny dip in the ocean check SERIOUSLY DID IT!  Will never do it again.
24. Read Les Miserables uh, no, way too long, but saw the movie, it counts
25. get a raise check (two since then!!!)  I'm hoping for another one...
26. go on a weekend meditation by myself still a goal
27. be a vegetarian for 30 days not really necessary
28. treat myself to a health spa trip still a goal
29. take a dance class  does zumba count?
30. get rid of the age spots on my face  I had a peel but it didn't work
 31. Yoga four times a week I try
32. blog weekly check
33. build a Habitat for Humanity home  it's a nice thought but I've had enough of building houses, I live in an apartment so I'm not likely to build a home for someone else...oh yea, I already did that...twice, argh.
 34.  make some new friends check
35.  LOVE more and JUDGE less work in progress forever and ever

My new list is mostly travel, a fantastic trip every year until I can retire:
  1. Train trip in the US
  2. Hike Machu Picchu
  3. Alaskan driving adventure 
  4. Spain with Melissa when she graduates
  5. Health Spa trip
  6. Take all 4 kids to Yellowstone at some point
  7. Cancun/Ruins 2017
  8. Maui/snorkeling 2016
  9. Amsterdam/Brussels/Berlin
  10. Polynesian Islands 
  11. Greece
  12. San Juan Islands
As well as some zen daily practices:
  1. Yoga and meditation practice
  2. Read and write daily
  3. Drink tea
  4. Eat less meat and more vegetables
  5. Walk more, goal 10,000 steps
  6. Shut up sooner (therapist advice for better relationships)