Saturday, February 20, 2016

Awaken Joy with Einstein





Today I'm learning a little more about Einstein...who'd of thought he would come up as I research the subject of joy! 





Kids get excited over their own creations naturally, every drawing, coloring book picture, Lego creation, or sand castle is reason to shout for joy.  Joy in creativity is as natural as breathing to a child.  As we age we become less confident, even fearful of expressing ourselves.


Did you know that as a college professor, Albert Einstein believed it was his job to awaken joy in his students?  He sought to bring to life older learners! Joy and art or not the usual things we associate with this amazing scientist."The greatest scientists are artists as well," said Albert Einstein. He believed intuition, reason, imagination and logic all connect, and that we need creativity, art and music in our lives to help us understand the world...and he was a scientist.  Ya gotta love Einstein! 

Image result for einstein




I love the encouragement to assert my own creativity as an adult, despite my fear of not being 'good enough'.  I'm reading Elizabeth Gilbert's, new book BIG MAGIC: Creative Living Beyond Fear and she states what I've come to agree with despite my meager talents:
  • "A creative life is an amplified life. It’s a bigger life, a happier life, an expanded life, and a hell of a lot more interesting life."

In my older years, I try to bring creativity to my life, for no other reason than, as Einstein stated, to awaken joy and because I like it! I write in my blog, some poetry and enjoy paint nights that take my mind off my complicated life.  We are currently renovating a home...wow, does that take some creative instinct as we design the layout as well as the interior, fun and challenging!


Here is my office full of my own paintings, reminding me every day that there is so much more to life than my job.  I think I'll take Eintstein's advice and pursue it even more passionately to awaken my joy more fully!




For a little inspiration listen to Elizabeth Gilbert and Rob Bell on RobCast, A Good Morning with Elizabeth Gilbert