Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Joy of Diverse Books and my Ode to James Baldwin

Image result for james baldwin quotesLast year was a campaign to bring more diverse books to children and this year there is a 2016 Diverse Books Reading Challenge. It reminded me of one of my courses in my masters program for English several years ago which focused on the problem in education when so many of the books are predominantly white authors/white characters and the effect of that on minorities when kids can't relate to what they are learning and reading about.  They tend to lag behind from the get go, giving whites the unfair advantage in this country.  It made me look at education quite differently, as well as the plight of a variety of marginalized members of our community.

Image result for james baldwin quotes
In another class I studied and wrote a paper about the black, gay novelist and civil rights activist from the 1960's, James Baldwin.  He rocked my world. He opened my eyes about racism and homophobia in America. It was beyond disturbing...and inspiring. The way he handled the poverty, racism, and homophobia left me in awe as well sickened me by the amount of hate inflicted on our brothers and sisters in this world...he was a great example of the pen being more powerful than the sword.  He was a great teacher to me and I fell a little bit in love with him as I studied his life and writings.  A documentary called "I am Not Your Negro" is coming out soon, I can't wait to see it.  At a time when racism seems to be spotlighted in our nation yet again, it's good timing.  Or maybe we are being forced to face what is an ongoing haunting problem in our nation, James Baldwin stated:

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, 
but nothing can be changed until it is faced."  

He is a beautiful human being.  Another one of my favorite Baldwin quotes:


"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without 
and know we cannot live within."

James Baldwin - On Being Poor, Black, and Gay



Recently I read an article about how reading literary fiction helps us gain empathy:


I can only say YES YES YES...and when we add to our reading list minority and marginalized authors our empathy can only grow as we learn of the human experience through the eyes of those that live a far different experience in this life than we do.   I've been touched deeply by the authors outside my own sheltered American white world and admire this reader that committed to reading only minority authors for an entire year! 


A loft goal!  It reminded me of a few of my favorite books by minority authors and makes me realize I need to make an effort to read a lot more:










Because I believe in supporting this movement:  FIVE REASONS TO READ DIVERSE BOOKS

diversebooks