Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Joy of Christmas in Maui...and turtles

Image may contain: 2 people, sunglasses, hat and closeup







Best. Day. Ever. Pure Joy. I swam with sea turtles in Maui, not just once but three times...five different sea turtles.  Black Rock, Kapalua and Makena Beach.  I had been looking forward to this for so long that I became very emotional when I swam along with my first one, a young turtle based on his striking colors and lines. The others I assume were older with large, faded and scruffy shells.  They were fascinating to just swim with and watch them in their habitat.  I love the pictures my hubby got showing me gracefully swimming along with them.  I relate to the turtle, carrying my home on my back (I own very little), hiding out in my shell (introvert), sticking my neck out (attempting creative pursuits such as writing and painting), I consider the turtle my 'totem' animal.


This was an awesome and relaxing way to spend Christmas with nothing to do but enjoy ourselves. Expensive for sure...we will be paying off this trip for several months!

Image may contain: 1 person, plant, outdoor and waterIt's also John's 50th birthday in a few days, so this was an awesome way to celebrate that milestone as well.


Image may contain: plant, tree, table, outdoor, nature and water


We stayed at Kahana Falls, a timeshare I traded for.  It wasn't right on the beach, a little disappointing and the room was super tiny with no balcony...something I'll make sure I have if we do this again. They did have an incredible little rock and sand bottomed jacuzzi and in general was a beautiful but modest property with a very tropical ambiance.


Image may contain: 2 people, sunglasses, sky, ocean, hat, cloud, outdoor, water and nature
Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and natureImage may contain: 1 person, ocean, sky, cloud, water, outdoor and nature

We hiked to Honolula Bay in the mud. The last day was incredible waves that we spent some time watching the surfers.
Image may contain: night, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting, table and indoor



Christmas Eve dinner was at the Lahaina Grill and walking through the shops.



We had a great whale watching cruise for Christmas day with an awesome Hawaiian brunch, we watched a mama and baby whale for quite a while.


Image may contain: 1 person, sunglasses, hat, sky, outdoor and waterImage may contain: foodImage may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor, nature and water



Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and natureImage may contain: plant, bridge, tree, outdoor, nature and water






Enjoyed the looooong drive on the Road to Hana and especially loved the lava tube hike. We drove all the way around rather than take the crazy road back...they were both crazy roads, but lots of cool waterfalls, incredible banana bread along the road and beautiful lava and black beaches with crashing waves.

Image may contain: 2 people, ocean, sunglasses, cloud, sky, outdoor, water and nature
Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and waterImage may contain: sky, ocean, tree, plant, outdoor, nature and water











Image may contain: people sitting and drinkImage may contain: one or more people and indoorOf course, we had to do a traditional Luau, which did not disappoint! We went to the Feast at Lele Luau in Lahaina.



Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, sky and outdoor

No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: plantImage may contain: outdoorOur last day we spent at the Ocean Center, a very cool aquarium in Maui...and well...I got a tattoo...that's another post to come.

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.


No comments: